Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Countdown to Haiti

Less than a week away!  All these months of preparation have come down to 4 days and counting until we leave for Haiti.  Most of the items have been purchased down to a cute headband to keep my hair back on our work days. :)  The anticipation awaits as we have prayed and prepared.  For many, including me, the unknown awaits.  What will our week be like?  How will God work in us and through us?  How has he already been working?


My biggest prayer has been that I am open to seeing God at work and that I can sense His call to be His hands and feet to the people of Haiti.  So often, we go on these trips anticipating great works for God.  And yet, sometimes he surprises us by doing a greater work in us than he does through us.  Personally, I am hoping to be surprised by God – surprised by His faithfulness – and mostly surprised by His voice as we go to bring a cup of cold water in His name.

As I prepare to leave on Saturday and reflect on God’s work already, I am so thankful for our team.  While I have been on many missions trips, I have never felt as prepared as I do today.  As we have met over the last three months, we’ve research Haitian culture, studied what the Bible has to say about spiritual warfare, and prayed for each other as we have raised funds and cleared our schedules to depart.  God has brought together 7 very different people to go together.  As we met for the last time before we leave, I was amazed by the beauty that is our team.  From different personalities and gifts, God has made one body and I can’t wait to see how God uses us together to serve the people of Haiti.


But another interesting thing occurred to me today…our team has become a place of safety.  We have become real with each other – warts and all – and truly become ready to be a team that serves together.  As we discussed spiritual warfare today, one of our gals posed the question…”What is the one area that Satan attacks you in the most?”  In essence, how can we help each other as a team in the field to fight the spiritual battle.  As we went around the table, God ministered to my heart as each of us was able to share those tough areas in our thought life and in our hearts.   For me, the area I shared about was not easy for me to share, and yet the warmth and safety as we seek to do ministry together and encourage each other in the process was well worth the risk.


As you might know, I’m always on the lookout for my one foot in the water moment – that moment when I step out of my comfort zone and meet God as we walk together in His strength.  I’ve already had so many of those moments in preparing to go – most recently sharing that area that Satan likes to poke at.  And so as I look ahead, I’ll be waiting and watching for my “one foot” moments while on the ground in Haiti.   One off the top of my head and my heart – that I would keep my heart fully engaged with our team and with the people of Haiti.  And as I take my first steps off the plane in Haiti, with knees knocking and butterflies in my stomach, I pray that we would each embrace our “one foot” moments to step out of our comfort zone in faith while walking hand-in-hand with God.


Jeremiah 1:7-8 “You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.  Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.

-Danielle Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment